Washington | Donald Trump said he would delay an increase in US tariffs scheduled for this week on $US200 billion ($280 billion) of Chinese imports, after reporting “substantial progress” in trade talks between the two sides.
Negotiators extended four days of negotiations last week over the weekend.
Mr Trump said progress was made on “important structural issues including intellectual property protection, technology transfer, agriculture, services, currency, and many other issues”.
“As a result of these very productive talks, I will be delaying the US increase in tariffs now scheduled for March 1,” the president wrote in a Tweet late on Sunday (Monday AEDT).
“Assuming both sides make additional progress, we will be planning a Summit for President Xi [Jinping] and myself, at Mar-a-Lago, to conclude an agreement.